The RotoViz Scouting Index – 2019 v 1.0
Get a free NFL subscription for 3 days.
Each year, in the run-up to the NFL draft, we produce the RotoViz Scouting Index (RSI). The RSI aggregates and compiles NFL prospect rankings from a variety of more traditional scouting outlets. This accomplishes a few things:
The 2019 RSI V1
- It saves time. No need to check rankings on several sites, we’ve done the work.
- It reveals the general consensus. No need to guess which players are held in high – or rising – esteem, we’ve done the math.
- It checks our bias. We do love us some statistical analysis, but it’s important to consider what the more traditional football community thinks about a given player. The consensus opinion is what will largely determine a player’s initial fantasy value, which is especially important for dynasty rookie drafts. It’s also possible we’re missing something; seeing which players the film community holds in higher regard might prompt us to look more closely at a prospect.
- It reveals trends. Sometimes a player starts out highly ranked but falls through the draft season. Or, a player shoots up the ranks as the draft approaches. When that happens, we’ll be able to explore the situation and attempt to separate signal from noise.
2019 Calculation and SourcesThe initial outlets that will contribute to the RSI calculation are CBS, DraftTek, DraftCountdown, OurLads, and DraftScout. As the Draft approaches, sources that are not routinely updating their rankings will be replaced and additional sources may be added. A player’s RSI score will be calculated as follows:
- Determine a player’s positional percentile rank for each outlet
- Sum each player’s percentile ranks and divide by the number of sources
- Scale to 100